It is about to get cold....Be Careful using space heaters in Homes.

With the Las Vegas Valley gripped in a cold snap, homeowners are turning up the heat.While space heaters and candles are popular they can be dangerous.North Las Vegas Fire Capt. Cedric Williams doesn't recommend people use space heaters. But if you must, it's imperative you give them some space. All too often space heaters are set up too close to blankets or curtains, resulting in fire.  “We don't recommend any type of space heaters or things of that nature. Just service your appliances and the heaters that are in your home,” Williams said.

In 2011, more than 53,000 home fires across the nation were caused by space heaters, according to the National Fire Prevention Association. Also that year, heaters were associated with about 400 deaths.  About a year ago, one man died and three others were injured in a fire at a Las Vegas Valley home. Las Vegas Fire and Rescue reported a space heater may have sparked it.  “If you're going to use any type of heaters or things of that nature make sure that they're certified, that they've been tested,” Williams said.  If you choose to use a space heater, it's important that you unplug it overnight or when you leave the room. Also, keep curtains, blankets and pillows at least three feet away from it. Never use a space heater if the cord is frayed.  The same rules apply to candles.  “Don't leave candles unattended, and we absolutely recommend that you don't use candles,” Williams said.  Lastly, never use a space heater to dry your clothes, and absolutely never use your oven to heat your home.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Read more:

Nathan robart

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment


Post a Comment